Blinds and Shutters for Bi-fold Doors & Large Windows
When planning to install Bi-Folding doors or floor-to-ceiling glazing this is a check list of points you will benefit from considering in view of the successful inclusion of blinds within your finished design project.
- Are you doors going to open outwards or inwards? With inward opening doors the blind solutions available are much more limited as to what blinds can be installed
- Blinds can often be concealed so that they can’t be easily seen when not required is this is something you are want consider?
- Blinds Cassette – can be installed retrospectively, available with certain products such as roller blinds only
- Blinds Pelmet – built in during construction, the size of this will depend on the product/supplier you choose
- Blinds Box/Recess – built in during construction, the size of this will depend on the product/supplier you choose
- What density will you require the blinds material to be?
- Blackout 100% – not easily achieved – will require side channels, do these need to be built in during construction?
- Dimout – can be achieved using a blackout material and a solution with the least No.of blinds
- Privacy – easily achieved using an opaque material but not necessarily light reducing material
- Screen – easily achievable with 1% 3% and 5% visibility but do not give not privacy at night time
- Will you require the blinds to be motorized?
- Do you have the necessary power provision?
- Power provisions will vary depending on size and product chosen
- Low voltage motor solutions will require transformers, these would be positioned where they can’t be seen
- Rechargeable battery solutions are improving all the time but are limited to certain products. For more information go to Motorization
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main reasons for having blinds in these living areas?
Clever shading around glazed and bi-fold doors can help make the room warmer in the winter months and feel dressed at night and during the shorter days. They also help keep the room cooler during the summer and on sunny days. Reduced glare is also a big advantage, as well as the blinds’ ability to reduce exposure to UV rays. Finally, blinds on such large expanses of glass can provide additional privacy, security and conservation of heat.
What about motorisation? Is it necessary?
New child safety regulations have made window blinds more awkward to operate – hanging cords must be kept at a height away from the reach of young hands – and so motorisation is becoming more of a popular necessity than just a luxury. Motorised blinds can be supplied to work individually, but they are normally programmed in a number of window groups to suit your specific requirements.
We want to keep the open space in our room looking and feeling as minimal as possible. How can we be sure the blinds won’t spoil this?
Blinds from Grants – including motorised blinds – can be extremely discrete. Stacked blinds can often be housed within the ceiling or construction, meaning they are barely visible. Blinds can be supplied with or without a cassette to house the blind when not required.
Solarwood ® is our own carefully engineered reflective backing. It increases the reflection of heat, glare and UV transmissions while allowing the soft light effect of the weave to continue to filter through.
The solar reflective lining option provides maximum glare, solar heat gain and insulation efficiencies. The high-performance lining is attached discreetly to the reverse side of the blinds. Providing additional privacy, this option is also recommended in rooms used year round or where excessive heat in a room is an issue.
- Made from fully sustainable resources
- Filtered light through the weave can create a pleasing and relaxing ambience
- Material is soft and relaxed offering a gently effective shading solution
- Roman as standard; roll-up window blind option also available
- Ideal for use within roof lanterns
- Ideal for window blinds
- Excellent solar heat reduction properties
- Wide range of colour choices available
- Can be custom-painted
- Available with lining as an optional extra, offering greater privacy
- Wide range of bespoke designs and borders possible through individual commissions