Custom Blinds for Gable Windows & Shaped Areas
Are any windows or doors going to open inwards?
With inward opening doors or windows the blind solutions available are much more limited as to what blinds can be installed.
- With shaped blinds depending on the final solution you choose some blinds will work upwards and others will work downwards
- This will alter the stack position when not required
- This will alter where any motorized provision needs to be made
Blinds can often be concealed so that they can’t be easily seen when not required is this is something you are want consider?
- Blinds Cassette – can be installed retrospectively, available with certain products such as roller blinds only
- Blinds Pelmet – built in during construction, the size of this will depend on the product/supplier you choose
- Blinds Box/Recess – built in during construction, the size of this will depend on the product/supplier you choose
What density will you require the blinds material to be?
- Blackout 100% – not easily achieved and will require side channels, do these need to be built in during construction?
- Dimout – can be achieved using a blackout material and a solution with the least No.of blinds
- Privacy – easily achieved using an opaque material but not necessarily light reducing material
- Screen – easily achievable with 1% 3% and 5% visibility but do not give not privacy at night time
Will you require the blinds to be motorized?
- Do you have the necessary power provision?
- Power provisions will vary depending on size and product chosen
- Low voltage motor solutions will require transformers, these would be positioned where they can’t be seen
- Rechargeable battery solutions are improving all the time but are limited to certain products.
For more information go to Motorization
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main reasons for having blinds in gable or shaped window areas?
Blinds in gables or shaped window areas serve many functions. In bedrooms, for example, they can help make the room darker and cosier at night. They also help keep any room warmer in the winter months and feel more dressed in the evenings. Conversely, in warmer months blinds keep the room cooler and more comfortable to use with reduction in glare Finally, blinds improve privacy and a sense of security.
We want to keep an open, minimal look. How can we be sure the blinds won’t spoil this?
It is best to plan for blinds from the earliest stages; the stack of the blinds needs to be considered so as not to detract from the design scheme and can often be housed within the construction itself. Blinds can be supplied with or without a cassette to house the blind when not required. Motorised blinds vary from company to company and it is good to know who you are going to use before the construction and wiring is completed. We can help from the earliest stage of the project.
Many different solutions are available for these areas and there is one that will work best for you. It is important to understand how your blinds will look when they are open and closed. Finally, careful planning early on means small adjustments can be made that can dramatically improve the accommodation of the blinds. With an order in principle, we will work with your architect and builders to put these in place for you.
Is motorisation a good idea – or indeed possible – in unusually shaped window areas?
Child safety regulations have made window blinds more awkward to operate and therefore motorisation is becoming more of a popular necessity than just a luxury. Many shaped windows are situated at high level and are therefore inaccessible. In these cases motorised blinds become a necessity as long loose cords are no longer permitted.
Our motorised blinds can be supplied to work individually, but they are normally programmed in a number of groups to suit your specific requirements.
Solarwood ® is our own carefully engineered reflective backing. It increases the reflection of heat, glare and UV transmissions while allowing the soft light effect of the weave to continue to filter through.
The solar reflective lining option provides maximum glare, solar heat gain and insulation efficiencies. The high-performance lining is attached discreetly to the reverse side of the blinds. Providing additional privacy, this option is also recommended in rooms used year round or where excessive heat in a room is an issue.
- Made from fully sustainable resources
- Filtered light through the weave can create a pleasing and relaxing ambience
- Material is soft and relaxed offering a gently effective shading solution
- Roman as standard; roll-up window blind option also available
- Ideal for use within roof lanterns
- Ideal for window blinds
- Excellent solar heat reduction properties
- Wide range of colour choices available
- Can be custom-painted
- Available with lining as an optional extra, offering greater privacy
- Wide range of bespoke designs and borders possible through individual commissions